Welcome to the New School
Thank you for considering the gift of a Montessori education for your child. In choosing The New School of Lancaster for your child’s education, you are choosing caring teachers, a peaceful environment, a rich academic program, and our welcoming community. Please read through the information below, visit our school, and be sure to contact me if I can be of assistance.
~ Stacey C. Watson, Admissions Director
Please view the following video by Dr. Steven Hughes about Montessori and the Future of Education.
The New School of Lancaster is a private, independent, Montessori school serving children ages 20 months through eighth grade in four different programs: Toddler, Primary, Elementary, and Middle School. Located in historic Lancaster Pennsylvania, we provide a nurturing atmosphere that enables children to develop a love of learning.
Toddlers must be 20 months old at the opening of school in September. We accept children in our Primary program who are between the ages of two years, eight months and six years. Children from other schools are sometimes accepted as transfer students to our Elementary and Middle School programs if the learning style of the child is compatible with our Montessori community. The school does not seek out any particular type of child, and in fact, looks for the advantage of variety.
Students are accepted into The New School after consideration of several factors:
- readiness of the child
- ability of The New School to meet and serve the needs of the student
- existing composition of the class with regard to age and gender
The New School of Lancaster admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies or other school-administered programs.
The New School of Lancaster is fully accredited with the American Montessori Society (AMS) and licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, State Board of Private Academic Schools. The Extended Care Program is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Public Welfare.
The purpose of the admissions process at The New School of Lancaster is to evaluate the match between children and our Montessori vision and approach. The Admissions process includes all of the steps listed below.
☐ Schedule a tour of the school and classroom observation.
This is an opportunity for adults to learn more about the Montessori philosophy and to ask questions. To schedule, contact the Admissions Director.
☐ Once you have determined that you would like to apply to The New School of Lancaster, please complete this online application with the $50 non-refundable application fee. A complete application includes the following:
- Online Application Form (for all students)
- Parent Statement (1st – 8th grade)
- *Parent provided copy of applicant’s most recent report card or transcript
- Student Statement – Upper Elementary (grades 4-6) and Middle School (grades 7-8) applicants only
- Student Writing Samples – Upper Elementary and Middle School applicants only Please include one or two stories, essays, or other pieces by the applicant. Work from school is fine!
☐ Schedule Parent Interview (2nd-8th grades)
☐ Classroom Visit- (Kindergarten-8th grade) Once the application is submitted, including the above listed Supplemental Application Forms, we will arrange a full day school visit for your child.
☐ Secondary Forms
- Consent for Records Release (1st-8th grade)
- Teacher Recommendations (1st-8th grade) Please give our recommendation forms to your child’s current teacher(s). Applicants need at least one teacher recommendation.